Helping Others - @FalconSays

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Helping Others

The other day I managed to thoroughly embarrass myself, but not in a funny way. I can laugh about it now, but at the time I was a bit scared and really physically shaken up. 

For a little over a year, I have been going to the plasma bank. It gets me extra money per month and hospitals are always in need of plasma to aid with various human illnesses. Which is ironic, now that I think about it as I am typing this. Here I was doing my small part in my little corner of the world to help others and that day, nary a soul would help me. 

I had just finished at the plasma bank and walking out the door when I saw the bus at the street. I ran as fast as I could to catch that bus. I had to run across the parking lot and across a major intersection. I got to the pedestrian crosswalk and light. The bus and I were neck and neck. The light turned green so I ran again, but the bus was pulling out ahead of me. Huffing and heaving, I made it to the bus because there was a line of others getting on. My turn, I made it on and made my way to a seat near the back. 

Riding along for a couple blocks I felt fine, then some very odd, ill feeling started taking over me, and fast. I was getting tunnel vision, my hands and feet were going numb, then my arms and legs and I could tell all my blood was rushing to my vital organs to my core only. I was about to black-out any moment. All I could think, while I still had consciousness, was to get off the bus at the next stop. So, as soon as the bus pulled over, I got up, nearly fell over, wobbled my way to the bus' back door and stepped off. 

At this point of the journey I was near the famous Las Vegas Strip. The reason for pointing that out will be clear in a moment. As soon as I was on the sidewalk away from the bus, WHAM, I slammed down to the pavement like a ton of bricks. Yup, right there, near the Las Vegas Strip. In a moment, I roused consciousness again and knew exactly where I was. I wasn't on the strip, but near enough where there were plenty of passers-by and motorists that all had a front row seat to my crisis, but no one stopped to help me. I know I looked drunk and disorderly, and considering where I was, I would have assumed the same. 

Over exerting myself, running as fast and hard as I could, at 45 years of age, to catch that bus must have been too much just after giving plasma. I pulled myself up from the sidewalk and even then, as I was slowly pulling my legs up under myself and trying to use my arms to hoist my body up, I was wobbling and very weak. 

People were just walking by me! I mumbled, "I'm not drunk, I'm sick." And no one cared, no one asked how I am, no one offered to help. I know it looked ridiculous. What if I was having a stroke? Even in that moment, I thought to myself, 'Well, would I stop to help this?' And I honestly don't know that I would, because that's how drunk I looked. I finally managed to get myself upright, walked a few steps and uncontrollably, WHAM, I blacked out again. My body simply could not move upright and forward . . . still too much after giving plasma. 

Only a moment later, I was roused again, and all I could do was crawl, yes I literally crawled on the Las Vegas sidewalk. I was humiliated but I had to try and get to the nearest restroom, so I headed to the nearest hotel I could see. A few feet of crawling and I felt I could chance standing and walking again. I got up, took a few steps and started getting tunnel vision again and felt myself blacking out and my knees buckling under me. I was going down again and I reached out to the pole I could just barely see near me as my vision was going. 

Leaning on that pull a few moments and breathing heavily, people still were just passing me by. Some cars were honking at me. Who knows if they were honking at the people as if to say, "Hey you a**holes, help that lady!" Or honking at me as if to say, "Hey loser!" I just know I was terribly embarrassed and sore and scared. I finally made it to a restroom. I sat in a stall, resting my head in my hands for what seemed like an hour until my body finally felt strong enough to carry on home. 

I have been back to give more plasma since. Lesson of that day: Never run immediately after giving plasma. And, next time I see someone on the street in need of a helping hand, I am pretty sure I will stop and at least ask them what is going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are submitted for approval. Thank You!